Friday, February 7, 2014

Oop, turns out I'm pretty girly after all.

Today's workout:
Chins, 5x5, 70lbs assistance.
Dips, 5x5, 70lbs assistance
Squats, 45x5x2, 50x5, 55x5, 65x5, 75x5
Bench, 45x5x4, 50x5, 55x5
Deadlift, 45x5, 65x5, 80x5, 95x5, 105x5, 120x5, 135x5

Today I wore my neoprene knee sleeves to the gym for the first time.  Also, the gym was hot today for some reason.

Now, the thing to understand is that I almost never sweat from any part of my body but my hands and underarms.  It's not unheard of, but I really pretty much have to be in sauna-like conditions.  Or, apparently, wearing knee sleeves, because I have never sweat so much from the legs in my entire life.

I'm not even joking.  I was leaving actual drops on the floor.  Drops of sweat were running down my calves.  After every set I had to stop and mop up my legs from sleeve to sock.  It was gross and horrifying and the next time I wear them I am going to chalk the insides until I strew white powder all over the gym like Pig Pen wherever I go.  I just want to squat my body weight, I don't want to drip sweat from my knees while I'm doing it.

TL;DR: Today I sweat at the gym and it was gross and I was kind of traumatized.

On the bright side, 75 pounds on the squats were way easier today than they were on Monday.  And my knees are the one part of my body that don't feel like they've been run over by a truck.  On the not-so-bright side, I struggled with the deadlift on the heavy set, mostly because of grip strength, so I need to do Farmer's Walks.

It also doesn't help that the plates at my gym are 12-sided and tend to jump if not set down just right; so any deadlifts over 135 require you to leap back out of the way to avoid taking 135+ pounds straight to the shin, which makes deadlifting look like some strange hybrid of weight training and Highland dance.  Please buy circular plates for your gyms, people.

In other news, this article on genetics and weightlifting is required reading, though a little disheartening.


No comments:

Post a Comment