Saturday, March 22, 2014

What is this strange feeling? It is almost like warmth.

It was actually warm enough to go hiking today, so I went for a four-and-a-half mile one.  It didn't seem that long.  I still huffed and puffed going up the steeper trails, but overall it didn't feel like that much distance.

Still, it reminded me why I powerlift.  If you want a twenty-second burst of maximal effort, I'm all over it.  Sustaining even 75% effort for more than about thirty seconds?  That is a lot of effort and huffing and puffing and cursing everything.  No wonder I was never any good at PE as a child.  Well, that and my inherent distaste for team sports and pointlessly chasing a ball around a field.

After resting a while post-hike, I did S&S.  The swings I got down to 4:37, though holy crap, was I smoked.  If I can keep up that time for the next few sessions I'll move to one-handed swings with the 25lb.  TGUs - again, with the 25lb - came in at 8:09, but they felt awfully wobbly.  I want to wait to move up weight on that one until I really feel like I own the 25lb bell for every stage of all ten reps.  Oddly enough, they get easier on the last couple of reps, so maybe it's the technique I'm having trouble with more than the weight.  Either way, I'm not putting 35 pounds over my face until I'm stable with the 25.  Probably this will happen by the time I get one-armed swings down  below 5 minutes, so I can move everything up at once.

By the way - if you, like me, just started wondering why the hell lb is the abbreviation for pound, World Wide Words via The Google tells me it's because lb stands for libra, which is a shorter reference to libra pondo or "pound weight"; the English pound comes from the second word, but the abbreviation comes from the first.

No comments:

Post a Comment