Monday, March 3, 2014

Grip strength woes

So Friday was deadlifting day.  Which was problematic to begin with, since I sort of overdid it on the bench press/upper body on Thursday.  I may need to rethink my T/Th/F schedule, though it keeps me out of the gym on Monday, which is the only busy day in the weight room.

Anyway; I did 140x5 but my lockout sucked.  I didn't feel strong at the top, or feel like I was straightening up all the way.  So instead of unloading the bar, I glared at it for a couple of minutes and then decided to do another triple.

Same result.  The weight went up, but the lockout sucked.  Also, I could barely hold onto the bar, and on at least one rep it fell out of my hands right before it hit the floor.  So I tried a set with the alternating grip, and boom - the weight went straight up, no lockout issues at all.

I was a little displeased by this, so I tried a backoff single of 135.  It honest to god dropped right out of my hands at the top of the lift.  Between the noise 135 pounds makes hitting the floor and the sound of me turning the air blue upon lift failure, it's a good thing I don't work out at Planet Fatness or my picture would be on Do Not Admit lists all over the country.  Again, 135 with the alternating grip went up just fine.

So I'm going to have to work grip strength.  And this week I'm going to try hook grip and see if that helps.  Also, the tendons in my forearms hurt.

In other fail news, I got the goals backward for S&S - it's 100 kettlebell swings in 5 minutes and 5 TGUs on each side in 10.  That's bad news for my swings, but does mean I should probably think about moving up weight on the TGU.

Link roundup

So it looks like cardio might not actually kill your gainz after all, depending on what you're doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment