Monday, February 9, 2015

Kettlebells, and why I can't feed myself.

My sternum is still giving me grief.  I've been out of the gym for a couple of weeks now, resting it and just doing some kettlebell work and pull-up practice.  Tomorrow I go back to squatting, so wish me luck not getting stabbed in the chest with serious pain as soon as I hit my work sets.  In the meantime, I've been working on one-handed swings with my 53-pounder, Ma'at, Mother of Kettlebells.

Oof, that is heavy.  I'm doing the 2T-2R-2T-2L-2T sets of 10 and so far I can barely swing the bell up to hip level with one hand, let alone chest level.

I've also been trying, in a sort of half-assed way, to cut some fat.  But because I will not ever have time in my life to weigh and measure and count calories - I'm pretty sure if I were stranded on a desert island I would find more pressing things to do - I figured I'd just eat intuitively, cut back on the food a little, cut out the junk food, and watch my carbs.

Well, for the last couple of weeks I've felt like crap.  No energy, anxious, depressed, and so forth.  So I figured, well, even I can log my food for a week or so to see if I'm hitting my macro targets.

I was not.  Not only was I not hitting my macro targets, but my average daily calorie intake over the week I logged was somewhere around 850 per day.  Apparently "intuitive eating", for me, results in yogurt for breakfast and lunch and then something small and light for dinner, because eating is a pain and as a general rule I want no part of it.  I need someone to just tell me what to eat so I don't lose all my muscle.

February is a busy month.  Last weekend was Carmen at the Met.  Next weekend is Iolanta and Bluebeard's Castle.  The weekend after that is the telecast of Andrea Chernier at the Ritz Five, followed in close succession by What We Do in Shadows (vampire mockumentary!) and A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (first-ever Iranian vampire movie!).

No comments:

Post a Comment